You have a Mac but also want to run Windows. Apple released a tool called Boot Camp, which lets Mac owners install and start their machines natively in Microsoft Windows. With the press of a button, you can switch between Mac and Windows every time your computer turns on. Here we will see some simple steps of how you can install Windows 10 on Mac through Boot camp easily.
With Boot Camp, you can install Microsoft Windows 10 on your Mac, then switch between macOS and Windows when restarting your Mac.
If you’re looking forward to install Windows on your Mac, we suggest Boot Camp is the best alternative to go with. Whether you want to just give a try out Windows 10 on Apple’s svelte hardware, here’s how to get it all set up.
What you need to install Windows 10 on Mac
- MacBook introduced in 2015 or later
- The MacBook Air introduced in 2012 or later
- MacBook Pro introduced in 2012 or later
- The Mac mini introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro introduced in 2013 or later
- The latest macOS updates, which can include updates to Boot Camp Assistant.
- You will use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10.
- Make sure you have at least 64GB of free space on your hard drive for the Windows installation. During the installation process, you can set the Windows partition to whatever size you want, as long as the drive has enough storage.
How to install Windows 10 ISO file?
To start, we need to grab a Windows 10 ISO file from the Microsoft website. You can download it straight to your internal hard drive.
- Visit the Microsoft Windows 10 ISO download page.
- Click the dropdown menu below Select edition.
- Click Windows 10 in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update section. You can download the Creators Update through Windows once it is installed.
- Click Confirm.
- Then Click the dropdown menu below Select the product language.
- Click your language of choice.
- Then Click Confirm.
- Click 64-bit Download.
- Then Click Save. The ISO file will now be downloaded.
How to install Windows 10 on Mac?
To install Windows, use Boot Camp Assistant, which is included with your Mac.
- Go to Applications folder
- Go to Utilities folder.
- Open Boot Camp Assistant, which is in the Utilities folder.
- Click Continue. Boot Camp should automatically locate the ISO file on your system.
- Click and drag the slider in the partition section. It will be set to 48GB by default, but you can add as much storage as you want within the limits of the drive.
- Click Install. Windows support software will now be downloaded.
- Type your password.
- Click OK. Your Mac will restart and you will see the Windows 10 setup screen.
- Choose your language.
- Click Install Now.
- Type your product key or click I don’t have a key. You can enter it after the installation.
- Click either Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Pro based on your preference.
- Click Next.
- Then Click Custom: Install Windows Only.
- Click Drive 0 Partition X: BOOTCAMP. Do not choose anything else.
- Then Click Next. Windows 10 will now be installed. Your Mac will restart several times during the process.
- Click Use Express Settings or Customize Your Installation when the Windows 10 setup screen appears. In this case, we use express settings, as all can be changed after the installation.
- Type a username. You can also add a password.
- Click Next.
- Choose to use or not to use Cortana.
Windows 10 will now boot fully, and you’ll be able to use Windows normally.
How to install Boot Camp software on your Windows 10 partition
When Windows 10 loads for the first time on your Mac, a Boot Camp software installer will automatically pop up.
- Click Install.
- Then Click I accept the terms in the license agreement.
- Click Install.
- Lastly, Click Finish when the installation is complete.
This is an important process, as it installs a bunch of drivers and software that will help make your Windows 10 experience as good as possible on your Mac.
How to switch to macOS from Windows 10
One of the best parts of Boot Camp is how easy it is to switch back and forth between operating systems.
- Click the Show hidden icons button in the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Then Click the Boot Camp button.
- Click Restart in OS X.
Your Mac will now restart, and you’ll be brought right back to macOS.
How to get back to Windows 10 from Mac?
To get back to Windows 10 from Mac and indeed another way to switch from Windows 10 to macOS,
- Restart your Mac and hold down the Option key on your keyboard until a boot menu appears.
- From here, you can choose which OS to load.
How to choose your operating system at startup
Now that you have both macOS and Windows installed and functioning on your Mac, you can choose which operating system to launch at startup.
- When you turn on or restart your computer, hold down the Option key to bring up the OS-selection menu.
- Make your choice by double-clicking either OS X or Windows.
Updating Windows 10 and more
Now that you have Windows 10 installed on your Mac, you can update it to the Creators Update. The easiest way to do so is to use Windows Update.
- Go to Start button.
- Click the Settings button. It looks like a gear.
- Click Update & security.
- Then Click Check for updates.
- Creators Update should begin downloading and will install.
- Follow the steps on screen, and you’ll be up to date in no time.
Whether you want Windows 10 for gaming purpose or for some other purpose, you should try once experimenting with this. It is quite easy to download and install Windows 10 if you follow proper guided steps .
If you have any more queries, feel free to comment and communicate with us. Like, share and subscribe. Regards!