“Gotta catch ’em all” is the only thing we would want to do in Pokémon Go! This game is simple when you travel around, a Pokémon pops up around you, and you try to catch it. Also, there are also Raids! They’re tougher and some of them are super rare as well. But how to catch the rare Pokémons? Here is a guide on how to catch rare Pokémon in Pokémon Go.
What you will see?
TL;DR: Give me the highlights?
Here is a cheat sheet if you don’t want to read the complete guide. Although it is suggested to read it completely to know much more.
- ABC. Always be curving. Once you can nail Curve Ball every time, you’ll get a 1.7x bonus every time.
- Max out your medals. Getting medals doesn’t need extra resources like Great or Ultra Balls or Razz Berries, so try getting as many as you can. As once you get them, that 1.1x to 1.3x is automatically applied each time.
- Consistency counts. If you aim and nail the smallest target every time, you will get a better bonus. But better the bonus you get than the one you miss, and that extra 1.3 to 2x also doesn’t consume resources and can make a difference.
- Razz for real. Razz Berries are not like Great or Ultra Balls, its 1.5x bonus will last until you hit. Thus, you can’t miss the hit with a Razz Berry. Moreover, for Golden Razz Berries, the bonus is 2.5x!
- Bump them Balls. With Great Ball, you get a bonus of 1.5x and 2x for an Ultra Ball. Use Great and Ultra Balls to get super rare or hard to catch Pokémon.
- Pinap Power. If you want to really evolve or power up your Pokémon, you can use a Pinap Berry to get double Candy. You can’t use a Razz Berry as well, so use an Ultra Ball to make up the difference.
- Nanab ain’t nothing: Ostensible a Nanab Berry calms a Pokémon down, making it easier to hit. In the current game, though, it seems to make little to no real difference.
If some or all of that doesn’t make sense, read on for the details!
How do you find rare Pokémon to catch in the first place?
If you want to catch rare Pokémon, you need to first find them. But that is not so easy, especially for rare Pokémon like Chancey, Togetic, Unown, and many more. Thus to find a rare Pokémon, you have to play as often as you can, wherever you go. Although some Map Trackers still work, they are mostly based on player reports. They are much helpful for finding Raids than spawn. Likewise, there are many social media groups on sites like Facebook, where players regularly chat and let each other know when especially rare Pokémon pop up.
Catch a wild Pokémon in Pokémon Go
This is the basic catch mechanic in Pokémon Go:
- Tap the Pokémon you want to catch.
- Wait for the catch screen to load and the Pokémon to come into view.
- Touch and hold on to the Poké Ball.
- Flick the Poké Ball at the Pokémon on the screen to catch it.
When the Poké Ball hits the Pokémon and it doesn’t hit it away, the Pokémon will get sucked into the Poké Ball. From there, it’ll try to fight its way out for a couple of shakes. If it can’t get out of the ball, you’ll get a “Gotcha!” notification and the Pokémon is yours. Although if the Pokémon is strong enough, it’ll break free and either give you another chance to catch it or run away.
How do you catch a Raid Boss in Pokémon Go?
If you win the Raid, you can catch a mechanic for Raid bosses. Luckily, that’s pretty straight forward too!
- Find a Gym on the map currently hosting a Raid. Remember that you can also find a Gym that will be hosting a Raid soon indicated by a giant Egg on top.
- Further, get a group of players together to battle. Note that, Different Raid bosses require more or fewer players to beat. For instance, if you’re going up against a very tough Pokémon, make sure to have a big enough group.
- Select a team of strong Pokémon with type advantages.
- Battle the Pokémon.
If you win, you will be rewarded with EXP, items, and Stardust. Also, you’ll get an encounter with the Pokémon you just beat. Remember that the Pokémon available in Raids changes pretty often, but Raids are one of the best ways to catch Rare Pokémon. Keep in mind, you will need special Poké Balls for Raid Bosses and cannot use your normal Poké Balls. Also, you have a limited number of special Poké Balls called Premier Balls. The number of Premier Balls you get is based on how well your team did when fighting the Raid and can be boosted if you battle with better Friends.
What’s a ‘Critical Catch’ in Pokémon Go?
A Critical Catch is a rare and automatic catch. Like normal catches you don’t see the shakes when you hit a Critical Catch, also there is no chance for the Pokémon to escape or run away. Also, with a Critical Catch, you will see some fireworks from the Pokéball and the Pokémon is captured immediately. Critical Catches are very random and quite rare, these happen only about 1% of the time. You don’t know before throwing a Poké Ball if it will be a Critical Catch. Maybe in future, there can be other factors that may influence a Critical Catch, including medals. For now, it is random.
There is no shortcut to catch rare Pokémon, you will have to play as often as you can, wherever you go. Although there are Map Trackers, they are helpful for finding Raids. Also, you can join social media groups, where players discuss and let each other know when especially rare Pokémon pop up. You can catch a Raid Boss by winning fights in a Gym. You will have to find a Gym on the map that is currently hosting a Raid. But, remember that you will need Premier Balls to catch these Raid Bosses and not the normal Poké Balls. Also, a critical catch is very rare and automatic. Maybe in future, there might be criteria about these catches, but for now, it is just random.